AZ cowboy and CDO grad dies in accident while boating | News
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now)- A Tucson area native, and the 2008 College National Finals Rodeo all-around champion, has died in an accident while boating on Lake Roosevelt in central Arizona.
26-year-old Wyatt Althoff, originally from Oracle, graduated from Canyon Del Oro High School and from New Mexico State. He had been making a name for himself in the ranks of the Turquoise Circuit which includes the Tucson Rodeo.
The Payson Roundup reports, "out with friends on Roosevelt Lake, Wyatt somehow fell from the boat. The friends and family aboard the boat said they turned around and he was gone. He never surfaced. It took a dedicated rescue crew groping through the gloom in the bottom of the lake more than a day to find his body."
At the time of his death, he and his partner T.J. Brown, were fourth in the Turquoise Circuit standings.
Althoff is survived by his parents, Linda Smith and former PRCA bull rider Brent Althoff and his girlfriend Kelsey Early.
Information provided by the PRCA.
Copyright 2013. Tucson News Now. All Rights Reserved.
Upcoming Events near Oracle-Catalina-Saddlebrooke
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Two MUSD elementarys recognized as 2013 NCEA Higher Performing Schools
- Estes Elementary hosts annual 'grand persons appreciation' event
- Rattlesnake Ridge Elementary families join in on 'Science Night'
- Marana Broncos advance in Division Two Championships in Florida
- Help the Salvation Army 'Stuff the Truck' today
- Oro Valley’s “Drop & Shop” event lets parents finish holiday shopping
- OV public outreach kicks into high gear, community invited to special events
- Oro Valley seeks to fill Conceptual Design Review Board vacancies
- Oro Valley’s Winter Parks & Recreation Guide now available
- Oro Valley Police seek person of interest in fraud case